Latest posts by FIRECracker (see all)
- Chautauqua Ecuador: The Super-Villainy Continues… - October 16, 2017
- Reader Case: Should I Take a Handout From My Parents? - October 13, 2017
- How To Plan Your Nomadic Life - October 9, 2017
Well, so much for a quiet week.
After our initial CBC article and video spot went up, we have been inundated. With emails and comments both here and on CBC where people are expressing surprise, jealously and frustration at our situation, commonly referred to as “haters.”
Well, the peanut gallery on CBC continues:
A follow-up article ABOUT the haters, which in turn generates MORE haters in the comments, which will create another follow-up about THOSE haters, which will…
Hmmm I think I see a problem here. Let’s see, that’s one…two…INFINITY haters! We’ve created an infinite hater generator! Awesome! Now if only we could find a way to plug a light bulb into that, we’d have no need for fossil fuels anymore.
Well, this is to be somewhat expected. Most people have built their entire financial lives around the underlying belief that “you have to buy a house or you’re a loser,” and what we’ve effectively done is reveal that “no, no you don’t.” And when confronted with evidence that a belief they’ve held to be true for so long turns out to be false, it’s far easier to simply attack the messenger than entertain the notion that everyone’s made a giant collective mistake.
But that’s OK. If we wanted to sit back and just sip margaritas on some beach, we would have kept our mouths shut and just sailed off into the sunset.
But then how selfish would that have been? To realize that life could be so easy, stress-free and awesome, while discovering a reproducible method of getting there that didn’t rely on starting the next Facebook or hitting a home run in the stock market, and then to just keep that secret to ourselves? That would have been the height of selfishness.
So that’s why we’re doing this. We’re doing this because this knowledge is too valuable to hoard for ourselves. We’re doing this because so much stress is just accepted as “that’s just how life is” when in reality it’s self-inflicted. We’re doing this because we want to bring along as many people with us as we can. And if we have to endure a couple rocks thrown our way, we will because Millennials need someone to stand up for them.
And you know what? For every hater we get screaming at us, we got emails like these that makes it all worthwhile.
1) I just wanted to comment on your achievements. Keep up what you are doing because it will start a revolution amongst younger generations… I do not subscribe to the idea that you need to work so damn hard all your life just to pay off that house and car. We live in a “sick” society that thinks this is what we are meant to do. It’s no wonder people are so unhappy in life. So I just want you say you two are fucking awesome!!! Enjoy your travels. Would love to meet you both one day and learn a thing or two.
2) I absolutely loved reading your blog and I actually was cracking up with your ability to “say it like it is”… You hit on so many truths and it was one of the best reads I have had in a long time, you got talent girl.
3) My girlfriend and I have been binge-reading your blog for the past 48 hours. I had to put off the last episode of Stranger Things because of you. Thanks. We really loved your financial insights (but more so your quirky remarks) on how to become financially independent.
Now where’s my margarita…