Latest posts by FIRECracker (see all)
- Let’s Go Exploring! Estonia: The Silicon Valley of Europe - December 14, 2018
- How Much Are You Paying to Work? - December 10, 2018
- Let’s Go Exploring! Riga: A Hidden Foodie Paradise - November 30, 2018
Happy New Year and welcome to 2017! It’s a brand spanking new year and you know what that means. New Years Resolutions! But instead of the lame open-ended goals of “workout more”, “eat healthier”, “make more money” goals, we’re going to do something different.
We’re going to focus on “The 6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You a Better Person”.
Written by David Wong from Cracked.com, this is one of my favourite articles of all time. Why? Because of its no bullshit advice on how to become a better person:
1) The World Only Cares About What It Can Get from You
2) The Hippies Were Wrong
3) What You Produce Does Not Have to Make Money, But It Does Have to Benefit People
4) You Hate Yourself Because You Don’t Do Anything
5) What You Are Inside Only Matters Because of What It Makes You Do
6) Everything Inside You Will Fight Improvement
Notice a common theme here? Becoming a better person doesn’t mean being “nice” or “smart”. It means being USEFUL. It means PRODUCING something that will benefit OTHER people.
So with that in mind, do the following.
Name five impressive things about yourself. And no, “I’m nice” or “I’m honest” won’t cut it. They have to be things you DO, not things you ARE.
Ready? Okay, go.
If you have a hard time doing it, don’t worry. That was me four years ago. Back then I was writing but not published, so the only thing I could come up with was “engineer”. But even then I didn’t truly believe I was a good engineer.
After reading this article, I got off my ass, worked hard to write better and eventually got published.
And now, after all those years of blood, sweat, and tears I can finally list 5 impressive things about myself:
1) Nationally syndicated writer on CNBC and Business Insider
2) Published Scholastic author
3) From being terrified of water to PADI certified open water diver
4) Millionaire and retired at 31
5) Travelled the world on $40K CAD for 1 year–less than most people spend living at home
What about you? Do you agree with David’s article? Can you list five impressive things about yourself?
If so continue adding to that list. If not, think about what you WANT to add to that list and make that your 2017 goal.
Here’s what we’ll be adding in 2017:
1) Launch an app
2) Become a public speaker
3) Write a non-fiction book
And to accomplish this, we’ll be launching our non-profit app, giving financial independence talks (starting with the Canadian Investors Conference in Feb), and writing our own book on financial independence. Bring it, 2017!
Before we run off to work on our goals, I’m going to leave you with the movie that, in my opinion, has the best line of all time:
“If you want to work here, close.”
Are you ready to grab 2017 by the balls? Are you ready to close?
Want free money to go travelling? Check out how we get credit card and banking sign-up bonuses here!
Want to learn how to replicate our retirement portfolio? Check out our FREE Investment Workshop!
Want to travel the world like us?
- Airbnb helped us save over $18K/year! Click here to get $40USD off your first booking.
- Click here to find out why you need travel insurance (it saved us $3000 in a family emergency!) and to get a quote.
Full disclosure: the above links are affiliate links so I may get a commission if you apply.